Sunday, August 9, 2009

Virgil on Politics

Just a little short post this time (maybe).

I find it immensely amusing to watch politics nowadays. It seems like every time we get a new president, the people on the losing side of the vote throw a temper tantrum declaring the end of the world because of the current administration's policies.

When GW Bush became president, we had the "hanging chad" debate, or even the anti-war sentiment a few years later.

Now we have this whole health care mess. I haven't been keeping up with the debate as far as the issues go, so I'm horribly under informed on that, but what really amuses me is the people getting into arguments and near fistfights over the notion of a national health care system.

*Disclaimer: as I'm under-informed, I don't have much of an opinion on the health care debate....yet. Stay tuned.

The thing that I have to laugh about is that the people doing most of the bickering and whining seem to be the conservative republican base (I'm evangelical and relatively conservative, but refuse to ally myself with a political party for reasons to be discussed at a later time). Now, most conservative republicans are, like myself, evangelical Christians. So, after watching this debate, I've compiled a list of hypocritical things that go on within this sect of people.

I seem to remember Jesus saying something in Luke 6:30 like "Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

Also, we see in Matthew 5:42, the famous Sermon on the mount, "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

So, let's think for a sec....Jesus says one thing, but the overwhelming thing we hear from the conservative base is, get off their lazy rears go to work! Cut Welfare! Now, I know the response, "those who do not work should not eat" However, that came from one of Paul's letters to the church, so that passage was directed toward the church, not the unbelieving public (which is becoming ever larger).

In my view, we need to be more generous, not just with our money, but with our time. The bible depicts God as "the defender of the fatherless" on many an occasion, and last time I checked, there are tons and tons of fatherless out there. Who cares if the government gives to the poor? Heck, let the government give more! Before we get into uproar about nationalizing health care, let's have some uproar about the retirement packages for career politicians. If you truly want to see what's destroying America, look at the career politicians. You won't get any true change until we have term limits on congress.

That's all for now.

Watch it, bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment